Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saying "Goodbye" is Never Easy

(posted by Tera)
I had the wonderful privilege and honor of driving my husband down to Georgia to the start of the Appalachian Trail. This was a much anticipated trip filled with a whole mixture of feelings, but mostly excitement and dread. It was filled with excitement because it meant that Jon was about to embark upon a journey that he has been dreaming about his whole life. It meant that he would begin a period of self-discipline both physically and spiritually. It meant new adventures and surprises from God. And it meant giving back to an organization (ECHO) that meant so much to his grandpa and of which I am a big fan.

But it was also filled with dread because it meant we would eventually have to say goodbye knowing that the next two months of our lives would be lived in two separate and very different worlds. This was (and is) the hardest part of the whole experience.

I was hoping to be at the start of the trail with him, but some impassible roads made it impossible to get as close to the trail as we had originally planned. Thus Jon had to hike 7.5 from Amicalola Falls State Park where most AT hikers begin their journey. While Jon was registering, the ranger on duty asked if we were from Ohio when Jon revealed his trail name (Buckeye). When we told him that we now live in Michigan, a lovely young couple next to us asked us, “Where in Michigan? We went to Calvin College.” What a small world! To me, it was God’s way of comforting us and reminding us of His sovereignty and perfect timing.

I decided to walk the first half-mile with him carrying his pack. Along the way, we had a Park Ranger take our picture, enjoyed the rhododendrons, marveled at the sunny skies, and agreed that it was the perfect day to start the Appalachian Trail. The whole time, I kept thinking, “I don’t want to turn around, I don’t want to turn around.” Why? Because turning around meant the dreaded “goodbye.” But it came to a point when I realized that a 10 hour drive back to Ohio meant I needed to pass off the pack and turn around. So, through many tears, a parting prayer, one last hug and kiss, we each went our separate ways.

I received a text from Jon when he made it to the start of the trail. He wrote: “I’m sitting on Springer Mountain, enjoying the view. It’s a magical place given all the anticipation. I’ll probably do a few more miles yet today.” So, he is now officially on his journey. I am so proud of him – it takes a lot of courage to make this dream become a reality. To God be the glory now and forevermore.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the starting off picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting my day in order, after my morning devotions. I had to print off a contract quick before heading out the door, Had to sign on and see Jon's progress.
    God Bless All of you.... Jon, Tera & My Pastor, Elaine.
    You are all in my prayers, Hmmmm, adding 2 more Dents to my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings, blessings, Jon! Tera, let's get together this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Tear (you made me cry!) I'm happy that the journey has started though and am excited to see what God has in store for both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The adventure has begun! You both are and continute to be in our prayers! Jay & Kristin

    ReplyDelete